Skip to main content

The context you need, when you need it

When news breaks, you need to understand what actually matters — and what to do about it. At Vox, our mission to help you make sense of the world has never been more vital. But we can’t do it on our own.

We rely on readers like you to fund our journalism. Will you support our work and become a Vox Member today?

Join now

Another sign Donald Trump might actually skip the debate

Donald Trump announces plans for an alternative event at the same time as the GOP debate Thursday.
Donald Trump announces plans for an alternative event at the same time as the GOP debate Thursday.
Donald Trump announces plans for an alternative event at the same time as the GOP debate Thursday.
Joe Raedle/Getty Images

Like the kid in high school who is too cool for prom, Donald Trump has announced he will be hosting a special event in Des Moines, Iowa, in honor of veterans’ organizations starting at the same time as the Fox News–sponsored GOP debate Thursday.

Since Trump announced he was considering not going, it was unclear how seriously to take the threat. Now Trump’s move indicates he might actually be for real.

His reasons have also shifted: Trump says it isn’t about Fox anchor Megyn Kelly anymore. This is a dig at Fox News CEO Roger Ailes and his organization’s recent statement accusing Trump’s camp of terrorizing Kelly.

Fox News released a statement yesterday in response to Trump’s threats to skip Thursday’s debate — the last GOP debate before Iowa’s caucuses.

”As many of our viewers know, FOX News is hosting a sanctioned debate in Des Moines, Iowa on Thursday night, three days before the first votes of the 2016 election are cast in the Iowa Caucus. Donald Trump is refusing to debate seven of his fellow presidential candidates on stage that night, which is near unprecedented.

We’re not sure how Iowans are going to feel about him walking away from them at the last minute, but it should be clear to the American public by now that this is rooted in one thing – Megyn Kelly, whom he has viciously attacked since August and has now spent four days demanding be removed from the debate stage. Capitulating to politicians’ ultimatums about a debate moderator violates all journalistic standards, as do threats, including the one leveled by Trump’s campaign manager Corey Lewandowski toward Megyn Kelly.

In a call on Saturday with a FOX News executive, Lewandowski stated that Megyn had a ‘rough couple of days after that last debate’ and he ‘would hate to have her go through that again.’ Lewandowski was warned not to level any more threats, but he continued to do so. We can’t give in to terrorizations toward any of our employees.

Trump is still welcome at Thursday night’s debate and will be treated fairly, just as he has been during his 132 appearances on FOX News & FOX Business, but he can’t dictate the moderators or the questions.”

Trump found Fox’s statement “nasty” and “dumb” and seemingly a better reason to skip the debate than his previously expressed qualms with Kelly, who is slated to moderate the event.

According to New York magazine reporter Gabriel Sherman, Fox News executives reportedly said Ailes mishandled Trump’s objections to Kelly.

Go deeper:

See More:

More in Politics

The Logoff
Trump gets his slush fundTrump gets his slush fund
The Logoff

How Trump sued himself and settled for $1.8 billion, briefly explained.

By Cameron Peters
Politics
Data centers could actually be good for your hometownData centers could actually be good for your hometown
Politics

The case for the buildings America loves to hate.

By Eric Levitz
America, Actually
Inside the fight over America’s data centersInside the fight over America’s data centers
Podcast
America, Actually

“The ugliest thing I’ve ever seen”: How New Jersey residents feel about a data center in their backyard.

By Astead Herndon
The Logoff
Trump’s brazen plan for a $1.7 billion slush fundTrump’s brazen plan for a $1.7 billion slush fund
The Logoff

Trump will reportedly drop his IRS lawsuit — for a price.

By Cameron Peters
Politics
The rise of the progressive billionaire candidateThe rise of the progressive billionaire candidate
Politics

Why some on the left are feeling warmly toward Tom Steyer and other very wealthy contenders.

By Andrew Prokop
Politics
Mifepristone survives another Supreme Court scare — for nowMifepristone survives another Supreme Court scare — for now
Politics

Only Thomas and Alito publicly dissented.

By Ian Millhiser